Students listen to the prop mistress'
presentation backstage at the NBC Concert Hall.
The goal of the Opera Project is to expand the students' opera experience by making connections between themselves and their academic curriculum, the working world of an opera company, as well as the historical, cultural and musical aspects of the three operas that season. Specifically, the objectives of the Opera Project are to help students develop the:
- ability to be responsible for one's own learning
- understanding that it is essential for human beings to work together
- ability to be involved in complex thinking and problem solving
- ability to recognize and produce quality performance and quality products
- ability to make a meaningful connections between the theme of the operas,
class work, research, and art projects
Thus far, students have exceeded all expectations. Parents, faculty, and community members marvel at students' products and the way in which they reflect the students' personae. Parents are generally amazed at the quality and breadth of their children's process and final work. The Opera Project meets a wide range of language arts, world languages, and visual arts content standards.
Hawaii Content Standards
you will need Adobe Acrobat, need help?