Through multimedia products students
become producers of technology.
Through a grant from the Native Hawaiian Educational Program, Kanu o ka 'Aina
New Century Public Charter School launched Kalo, Inc. An essential design principle
was to provide opportunities for students to become producers (rather than just
consumers) of multimedia. Kalo, Inc. was an opportunity to provide students
with the knowledge, skills, and attitudes to design, modify, and apply technology.
The intended outcome was to use the high school to train students to become
technological problem solvers.
Kalo, Inc. involves 67 students, the majority of whom are Native Hawaiian.
The enterprise is best suited for students in grade 9 through 12, but it can
also include talented and motivated students in lower grades. Kalo Inc. meets
or exceeds a variety of Hawaii's Content Standards:
- Students demonstrate a sound understanding of the nature and operation of technology systems. Students are proficient in the use of technology.
- Students understand the ethical, cultural, and societal issues related to technology. Students practice responsible use of technology systems, information, and software.
- Students use technology tools to enhance learning, increase productivity, and promote creativity. Students use productivity tools to collaborate in constructing technology-enhanced models, preparing publications, and producing other creative works.
- Students use technology to communicate, collaborate, publish, and interact
with peers, experts, and other audiences. Students use a variety of media
and formats to communicate information and ideas effectively to multiple
- Students use technology to locate, evaluate, and collect information from
a variety of sources. Students use technology tools to process data and
report results. Students evaluate and select new information resources and
technological innovations based on the appropriateness to specific tasks.
- Students use technology resources for solving problems and making informed decisions. Students employ technology in the development of strategies for solving problems in the real world.